Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Intro to me

Hey, everyone.  I'm currently a flight paramedic in Arizona.  I've had several requests for stories, interesting cases, or suggestions regarding my field.  I thought the best thing to do would be to start a blog for all to read and comment on.  I welcome comments and discussions on anything I post.  I will answer all questions asked to the best of my ability, and will probably post some quesitons of my own.

Here is a little bit of my background for those of you who don't know me.  I was born and raised in southern Arizona.  I became an EMT-Basic in early 2005, and worked for a private ambulance company.  After about two years, that company paid my way to go through paramedic school and after an accelerated six month class, got my cert in early 2007.  I work for the same ambulance company as a paramedic for a little over three years (I had to sign a three year contract since the paid for my class), and then started flying on a helicopter as a medic.  I currently work for a private air medical company (as most are, in the US).  I have been flying for almost a year, now, and I recieved by FP-C (Flight Paramedic Certification) from the BCCTPC (Board for Critical Care Transport Paramedic Certification) in Feb. of 2011 (six months after I started flying).

Shortly before I started paramedic school, I became a TA for the EMT-Basic program that I went through.  Once I became a paramedic, I became a full instructor for that same program.  I have taught there from 2007-2011.  The only I stopped teaching is because I'm going back to school, to earn my Bachelor's in Paramedic Care.  I have every intention returning to teaching, once I'm done with my degree.
While working ground, my unit was one of the busiest on southern Arizona, and while flying, my helicopter is among the busiest helicopters my company has, nationwide.  I am used to running many class per shift, and that's actually the way I like.  Sure, I get burned out from time to time (and who doesn't?) but ultimately, I do love my job, and like to be busy.

I am married with a little girl.  As anyone in my field will most likely agree, it is not just a career, but a lifestyle.  Missing holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries is just part of the gig.  I'm fortunate to have a wife who is in a similar field, and understands how it is, and it extremely supportive of my advancement.  My daughter even seems to get it, too.  I'll be the first to tell you that I'm not sure how successful I would have been in my career if it wasn't for the support of my family (not just the wife and daughter, but my parents, sister, and extended family, too) and friends.

Well, that's a bit about me.  Stories and questions to come later, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment